Pac-Man, otherwise known as the Yellow Bane of Ghosts, is making his first appearance in the Smash series. He was originally planned to be a character in Brawl, but he never made it past the planning stage. I will be analyzing his first set of special moves.
His neutral special is Bonus Fruit. Pac-Man cycles through eight different projectiles that have their own properties:
- The Cherry is the first one. It is the weakest one, only dealing about 4% damage. It bounces twice before disappearing.
- The Strawberry is the second one. It is the second weakest one, dealing about 6% damage. It bounces three times before disappearing and travels more distance than the Cherry.
- The Orange is the third one. It deals about 8% damage and travels in a straight line for a considerable distance.
- The Apple is the fourth one. It deals about 9% damage and is thrown at a diagonal angle downwards. It bounces four times before disappearing.
- The Melon is the fifth one. It deals about 12% damage and travels in a broad arc, but is rather slow.
- The Galaxian is the sixth one. It deals about 9% damage but can potentially hit the opponent multiple times. Instead of disappearing, this one flies away at a 45 degree angle.
- The Bell is the seventh one. It deals about 8% damage and can paralyze. After being thrown upwards at a 45 degree angle, it will fall straight down.
- The Key is the eighth one. It is arguably the best because it is the fastest, flies straight, deals 15% damage, and has the most knockback.
Note that these are items, so you and other characters can pick it up. These are all also projectiles, so they can be reflected or pocketed.
His side special is Power Pellet. This is good for horizontally recovery. However, if anyone hits the pellet, it can used to heal 2% damage.
His up special is Pac-Jump. This move spawns a trampoline that can be used three times before making the next character to step on it become helpless. Each time the trampoline is used, the character jumps higher.
His down special is Fire Hydrant. This move throws a fire hydrant directly below you. The water that comes out can push you and other opponents around. It will only do this twice before disappearing. Only one hydrant can be on the stage at any time. The hydrant can also be used to damage opponents on the way down, or can be sent flying if it takes enough damage. The flying hydrant can damage opponents. However, opponents can also attack the hydrant and damage you as well.
Who is your favorite Pac-Man ghost: Blinky, Inky, Pinky, or Clyde?