In Pokemon Sun and Moon, Alola variations were introduced. All of them were Generation 1 Pokemon. Most of the Alola forms are applied to the entire evolution line, but three of them have “split” evolutions: Pikachu, Cubone, and Exeggute. I will be talking about whether Raichu or Alola Raichu is better, at least in Sun and Moon.
First off, how is Raichu different from Alola Raichu? They are similar Pokemon, but there are a few key differences:
- Raichu is pure Electric, while Alola Raichu is Electric/Psychic (technically the first)
- Raichu’s attack stat is the same as Alola Raichu’s special attack stat, while Alola Raichu’s attack stat is the same as Raichu’s special attack stat.
- Raichu’s defense stat is the same as Alola Raichu’s special defense stat, while Alola Raichu’s defense stat is the same as Raichu’s special defense stat.
- Raichu only has Static as a regular ability, while Alola Raichu only has Electric Surge as a regular ability (unique ability)
- Raichu has Lightningrod as hidden ability; Alola Raichu has no hidden ability (meaning regardless of the Pikachu’s ability, when you evolve it, it will not matter)
That’s really it. Now, getting a regular Raichu is not easy in Sun/Moon. Any Pikachu you evolve into Raichu in Sun/Moon will become Alola Raichu. This means you need to transfer over a Raichu either from ORAS/XY or RBY. But should you?
Well, let’s look at how each fares against the Island Kahunas, Elite Four, and Champion.
Alola Raichu is better for Hala, who is both an Island Kahuna and Elite Four, so it gets 4 points.
Neither one is better against Olivia.
Alola Raichu does not do well against Nanu, so Raichu gets 1 point.
Neither one is better against Hapu, but Alola Raichu arguably does better. It gets 1 point.
Alola Raichu would not do well against Acerola, so Raichu gets 1 point.
Both of them are good against Kahili, but Raichu is arguably better to use. It gets 1 point.
Kukui has a variety of Pokemon. Against all of them, they are equal. However, Kukui has the final evolution of the starter neither you nor Hau picked. Against Decidueye and Incineroar, Raichu is the better one; it gets 2 points. Against Primarina, they are equal.
Adding up the points, Alola Raichu has…5 and Raichu has…5